Who we are
Burr House Spinners and Weavers Guild is a dynamic community of fibre enthusiasts with shared interests in the fibre arts. The Guild offers members the opportunity to learn fibre art skills from other guild members through drop-ins, workshops, activities, and guest speakers. The Guild offers formal workshops and courses directly through the Guild as well as through the Richmond Hill Community Centre programs. Membership is open to anyone with interests in spinning, weaving or related fibre arts. While most Guild members weave or spin, many also share diverse but related interests in activities such as dyeing, basketry, knitting, crocheting, felting/needle felting, quilting and sewing.
What we do
As a Guild, we work together to awaken public interest in and appreciation of handweaving, spinning and related fibre arts. We endeavour to improve the skill and artistic talents of our members by providing opportunities for learning and sharing. Through Guild sales, we offer Guild members the opportunity to exhibit and sell the items they have created.
Benefits of membership
- Monthly meetings at 7:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month (7 p.m. if on-line) featuring guest speakers, slide shows, demonstrations, hands on activities, show and tell along with a business and social portion
- Access to and full use of guild equipment and resources
- Opportunities to participate in group projects on Burr House Guild equipment and looms. Past and current projects include rag rugs, recycled plastic tote bags, tea towels, colour gamp, table runners, blankets and coverlets
- Borrowing of books and periodicals from our extensive guild digital and print library
- Mentoring and fellowship with other fibre enthusiasts
- Courses, workshops, lessons, group projects, study groups
- Opportunity to sell members’ work in twice-annual guild member sale
- Engagement with other related guilds, locally, nationally & internationally
Members are encouraged and expected to get involved in the activities and operation of the Guild. There are plenty of fun and interesting events during the year that need volunteer help such as Cultural Summit, Doors Open, Studio Tour and Culture Days.
The annual membership fee is $125, from September 1 – August 31.
For further information please contact: Burrhousew@gmail.com
Spinners & Weavers
530 Carrville Road
Richmond Hill, Ontario